Our Mission Statement
Lost Rivers Medical Center will provide high-quality, compassionate primary and preventative health care and emergency services to meet the needs of the Lost River Valleys and surrounding communities.
Lost Rivers Medical Center was originally established in 1958 as an association. It was operated by the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration who operated the facility until 1975 under the auspices of Butte County and filled positions ranging from administration to housekeeping. During their successful operation they added five (5) long term beds. When established, the main purpose of Lost Rivers Medical Center was to provide acute in-patient care to the citizens of Butte and Custer counties.
Currently, Lost Rivers Medical Center operates as a Critical Access Hospital (CAH), the designation of which was established by law under the Medicare program. To be designated as a CAH, a hospital must be located in a rural area, provide 24-hour emergency services, have an average length-of-stay for its patients of 96 hours or less, be located more than 35 miles (or more than 15 miles in areas with mountainous terrain) from the nearest hospital or be designated by its State as a “necessary provider.” Hospitals may have no more than 25 beds.
Our goal has always been, and continues to be, providing and creating exceptional experiences for our patients and customers by offering the best and most comprehensive medical care possible.